The Geekly Guy

This blog contains information regarding all things Linux, although any computer technology subject matter fits within the realm of this blog.

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Updated http://www.wigglit.com/EECH.html
________________

Got Debian semi sorted out...still the occasional "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:" for apps like 'gkrellm,' 'gtop,' 'xcdroast' and such, even as root (in an xterm, at least). Xhost doesn't seem to solve it...haven't tried xauth yet.
________________

Other than that, I've not done much but play a new game I bought: Battlefield 1942 with the The Road to Rome expansion package.

Awesome game! I've played it almost nonstop with the single player missions. I doubt I'll play it multiplayer as I hate most multiplayer attitudes. I've been kicked from a number of Medal of Honor clan servers. These clans will kill their own teammates but when I get pissed and hunt the person (on my same team) who killed me blatantly, I get kicked. Online gaming just plain sucks sometimes. These little cliques ruin the game for alot of us.

Another reason I hate online gaming at the moment is that I'm stuck in my brother-in-law's bottom floor of his home and I'm piped into his internet service thru a wifi ethernet bridge...not really conducive to gaming...the bandwidth is there (10-11mbit) but for some reason, I'm getting bad latency, although my pings are low (in Q3A, its around 100-120...that's not bad). It has to be the fact that I'm using wifi with online gaming, as the same thing happens with MOH. The same thing doesn't happen if I play MOH on my bro-in-law's system, which is connected directly to his router. Oh well.
________________

I'll get started on my Bowling blog soon...within 2 weeks, as my daughters are coming up for a visit for a week...I'll probably not have time to set everything up this week.
________________

I bought an 80GB Seagate 7200rpm drive on Saturday, along with an ATA100 IDE pci card. I had maxxed out my IDE channels on my system and wanted to try to use the old 4GB drive that has FreeBSD installed on it. Alas, the tower I have has no more physical space for hard drives and I don't have my computer things with me (still in TX). What's in TX that I need is the hardware kit that lets me use a cdrom bay with a hard drive. For now, I've put the 4GB drive in the top bay behind the floppy, but the IDE cable won't reach the mainboard area with that setup, so I need a longer IDE cable...24", preferably. Then, I'll be able to continue to use FreeBSD without doing a fresh install.
________________

I've also got QNX installed on the new drive...version 6.2 I think. It installed fine, but won't recognize my usb stuff. It recognizes the keyboard fine, but I have the keyboard using a PS/2 adapter. The mouse is plugged directly into the USB port...QNX won't notice it and its hard to get around QNX without a mouse. Grrrrr.

Well, later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home