The Geekly Guy

This blog contains information regarding all things Linux, although any computer technology subject matter fits within the realm of this blog.

Monday, December 16, 2002

Guess what? I'm typing this from my new FreeBSD 4.7 box. I must say that this is very nice. I installed it on my 4GB drive but am fast running out of space! I may have to move it to a different drive. :o\

I fixed my X problem by installing the latest X port. I'd got X running as root but it wouldn't run as a normal user. I remember Tully from irc.freenode.net's #slackware stating that I needed to install 'wrapper' for X so that normal users could use X. I googled 'wrappers' and 'X' and found some data on it. I then installed the wrapper port and X worked as a regular user.

I also had to hack my XFConfig file to get the mouse working.

I also had to install the BASH port, as FBSD uses everything BUT BASH as the default shell.

Right now I'm using KDE until I get things polished a bit, but it looks like I may have to move this install or at the very least, move /usr to a different hard drive (if that's even possible, as I'm trying NOT to reinstall FBSD if I don't have to). Take a look:

$ df -H
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad1s1a 132M 48M 73M 40% /
/dev/ad1s1f 264M 1.2M 242M 1% /tmp
/dev/ad1s1g 3.1G 2.3G 549M 81% /usr
/dev/ad1s1e 264M 8.9M 234M 4% /var
procfs 4.1K 4.1K 0B 100% /proc

Yeah, not too good. :o(

Well, I'll dwell on it all later. Night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home