The Geekly Guy

This blog contains information regarding all things Linux, although any computer technology subject matter fits within the realm of this blog.

Thursday, May 08, 2003

Trying out the Phoenix web browser in FreeBSD....very very nice.

Anyways, I thought I'd drop by to throw a few notes to some people who may not know how to mount MSDOS partitions in FreeBSD. I did use Google to attempt to find out how to do this but saw more questions than answers. The FreeBSD handbook (which I bought, the actual book) didn't cover how to mount MSDOS partitions and the manual pages didn't either.

Here's how you do it. You use the 'mount_msdosfs' command, like so:

/sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt/dos1
/sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/ad2s5 /mnt/dos2
/sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/ad2s6 /mnt/dos3
/sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/ad4s5 /mnt/dos4

Insert the partition (or 'slice', as FreeBSD people say) you'd like to mount. You can also add those slices to your /etc/fstab file, like so:


# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#

# Mounting Windows Partitions
/dev/ad0s1 /mnt/dos1 msdos rw 0 0
/dev/ad2s5 /mnt/dos2 msdos rw 0 0
/dev/ad2s6 /mnt/dos3 msdos rw 0 0
/dev/ad4s5 /mnt/dos4 msdos rw 0 0


I'm posting all this here in the chance that it may help someone. In fact, I'm also going to use this blog as a notetaking tool. I go to my blogs from time to time when I forget how I'd done something or what command I'd used to apply something in Linux/Unix.

OK, I'm calling it the night. Oh yeah...to see some of my digicam pics, go to http://www.unixfool.com/images/.
I was playing around and there are 2 pictures of my computer rig that start with the letters "DSC". They are big so if you're on dialup, this is your warning. :o)

G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home