Just a quick message here, then I'm retiring for the night.
Using Debian, I didn't know how to set the timezone of the system. It was showing the 'correct' time but compensating by setting the timezone to 'CST'. Using the trusty Google, I found that tzconfig is used to set the timezone in Debian. Very intuitive (read NOT arcane) tool, and it quickly got my timezone set correctly.
Other than that, I'm still having a bit of a time getting certain tools to work in Debian. A few weeks before, I was getting "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:" errors. I still haven't figured out what's causing this. I'd thought it was Xauth but that's a bit beyond me until I can find the time to dig into the matter. In fact, I'd like to have Xauth turned off, since I'm behind an efficient firewall. Anyways, the 'Gtk" error message now duplicates upon attempting to run Mozilla's xmlterm in an xterm shell. I've no idea why. This wasn't happening a few weeks ago. I'm about to start backing up data so I can start with a fresh Debian install. I'm not so sure about running Debian-Unstable anymore, as things are starting to break that weren't broken before. I can no longer run KDE anymore and its no longer in my X Login pulldown menu, yet KDM is running fine. I'll make it my duty to attempt to chase down the problem before hauling off and reinstalling....that's for Windows users! :o) Not that I don't use Windows....
On that note, I'm headed to bed...night.